Skip to main content

A New Fire


Once every long while, I'll get so overwhelmed by thoughts that I end up trying to articulate them here. Sometimes I succeed, other times I stare at my blank screen and resort to giving up after some 30 minutes of idle fumbling on the keyboard.

But here I am again now, and hello once more. Settling down in a city far from home has been quite the thrill and less terrifying because after all I've grown so much since I last experienced the same transition. I wouldn't say it has been completely easy or smooth-sailing, but it is definitely worthwhile. Every second that I've spend working my way to get to this place, this time in my life - where I am now validates my efforts, big or small. Everyday I wake up being thankful for everything that I have and that is around me. It's all worth the wait.

Scratch all of that. That's shit. We all know I don't talk about these things. The deep, dark, morbid thoughts - that's who I really am. Life's purpose, our sole existence, the enigma of the universe; Inexplicability is my forte.

In these four months that I have been here, my mind has been in a horrific turmoil. One that I tried my best to mask from everyone around me. I wasn't sure myself what was in fact the problem, but nothing felt comfortable. I was skeptical about decisions I had made for myself, losing my head over little (almost nonexistent) obstacles that were in my way-- to where? I didn't know either. On the outside I was functioning just fine, heading to classes and meetings, racing to complete the immense load of coursework just like everyone else was; On the inside I was hardly recognizable. I questioned my motives, my purpose of doing what I am doing to the point that I was so afraid of waking up in the morning to face another day. I was clueless every passing second. Lying in bed at the end of the day felt like I would rather have maggots gnaw through my brain. I was lost, once again. So I sought for solace in people who are closest to me, gathered their opinions and slowly worked my way through the clutter in my head (if you're ever reading this, thank you thank you thank you). I was reminded of the million great things that I used to be, traits that I lost in the blur of trying to become somebody else just to prove that I can be better. Also, I know that I go through these self-doubting phases a lot, every now and then, I just have to work more to keep them from coming back. But for now, I'm just glad that this phase just ended and a new semester had just begun.

February will see the birth of a different side of me. If there is anything that I learned from the past few months, is that my fears are just tricks and illusions in my mind. None of them are worth my time cowering from. I hope this serves as an encouragement for anyone out there who has read up to this point. Even when no one else see it, you have to believe that you're strong enough to do and change anything that you put your mind to. That's what I'm doing from today. I will make a difference - first in myself, and then in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yayasan Khazanah: First & Second Stage

Undeniably, scholarships and I tend to have rather... complicated relationships. The first one I applied for (and a quite prestigious one for heaven's sake) didn't qualify because reckless little me missed out one of the application procedures. I'm still beating myself up for that. And then there was Taylor's Principal Awards where I was awarded with 10 thousand MYR worth of tuition wee waiver for selected Pre-University Courses. Considering my current financial abilities, I turned it down because as honoured as I am to be holding a TPA, the remaining uncovered fees (not to mention living costs) were still far from what my family could afford. I didn't get the PETRONAS scholarship, neither did I make it to the 3rd stage of Yayasan Khazanah (YK). I say, failures are a sign of you're getting closer to what you want, so let's rejoice.  Back to where I started, I was about to write about what I've learned during the interview processes of YK - Stag

You

You told me You could see galaxies spiraling in my eyes that I was the silver trail of moonlight in your darkest night. I tore my walls down and grew a garden that bloomed into vivid colours so we could dance among the flowers. Heaven once felt so seamless until it began to crack and all the stars we counted faded into black. It's funny how when you're sprawled helplessly on the ground gasping for air the deafening silence sets in; you can hear your heart shatter and your soul dissolves into the bloody red mess that is you.

BGF Youth Connection Session

Things you dislike about yourself: 1. I put too much pressure on myself 2. My expectations are too high 3. I can't manage my emotions well 4. I have an  unhealthy tendency to belittle myself Things I love about myself:  1. I am disciplined 2. I try as much as I can to stay optimistic 3. Sometimes, I'm just plain awesome Things I did today that are positive: 1. Met new people 2. Reunited with high school friends 3. Enjoyed the YCS session 4. Had some really good almond cake Positive things that you see in others:  1. Positivity 2. Ability to cope well with studies 3. Confidence 4. Skillfulness 5. Effective self-management YCS was really good and I'm glad I accepted the invitation. Ending this with something I learned today:  ALL, is well.